Independents’ Day 2013
Independents’ Day 4th July is a national campaign, sponsored by Mondelēz International which aims to give a voice to the UK’s independent retailers.
The campaign has now gained the support of Theo Paphitis, long time star of the BBC’s Dragons’ Den, Chairman of Ryman Stationery and Robert Dyas and founder of the lingerie brand Boux Avenue.
The Independents’ Day campaign has joined forces with Independent Retailer Month, which runs throughout July, and so Independents’ Day will kick start a whole month of celebration of Independent Retail, that aims to re-connect local people with local traders for the benefit of the whole community.
The campaign has also gained the support of thirteen trade associations: Association of Cycle Traders, Act Smart, Association of Town Centre Management, Booksellers Association, Bira, Beverage Standards Association, Entertainment Retailers Association, Independent Retailers Confederation, National Association of Goldsmiths, National Federation of Meat and Food Traders, National Federation of Retail Newsagents, Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association, National Market Traders Federation.
Towns and retailers have been encouraged to put on special events and promotions for the day, including themed window displays, high street festivities and offers. The National Skills Academy for Retail’s network of over 50 skills shops will be supporting activities to promote the work they do to help independent retailers become more profitable and successful. Through the campaign, funding is available to independent retailers with fewer than 250 employees to access training and mentoring they might not otherwise be able to take advantage of. To find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To get involved:
- Download the Independents’ Day poster and other marketing collateral from this website
- Display the poster in your shop/windows display, take a photo of it and email it to email@example.com
- Follow the National Skills Academy for Retail on Facebook and Twitter
- Re-tweet tweets and share Facebook posts to spread the word.
- Include features of the campaign in your social network pages and website.
- Spread the campaign messages and encourage more independent retailers in your area to get involved.
- Organise an event on the 4th July: anything from special discount on the day or taster session for your customers.
- Get in touch with your local town centre manager, local skills shop and other local retailers for a town-wide celebration.
- Let your customers know what you are doing by email and throughout your social media platforms.
- Take photos on the day, showing activities taking place in your shop and in your local area and email/share them.
- Enter this online competition – sponsored by Mondelēz International.
Over 60 locations across the four nations have already confirmed their involvement,
Start planning now and don’t forget to email firstname.lastname@example.org about your activities!