7 Reasons Why Pearls are Making a Fashion Comeback
The title of the article is a bit of a misnomer. When have pearls ever not been in fashion? That said, it is true that this year, they are having a special moment in the sun. There are many reasons why this is the case. Here are some reasons why.
- Rarity – our thirst for diamonds and other precious stones tells us how much we covet the rare. The rarer something is, the more exclusive it becomes, and the more our demand for it increases. Fresh water pearls are precious, even rarer than every other stone you might be familiar with. A case in point are the pearls from the South Sea and Tahiti. As we read more and more about the preciousness of these pearls, the more they become valuable. This is the same with saltwater pearls too. The rarity of the pearl is part of its irresistible charm.
- Affordability – this point doesn’t seem to be possible with the previous one, and yet it is true. While natural pearls are expensive, cultured pearls are not. It’s a simple way to bring a sense of elegance to designs. Pearl jewellery and embellishments make a posh statement without spending a great deal.
- Weddings – there has never been a time when weddings didn’t take place. And most brides accessorise with jewellery. What goes well with white, cream and non-traditional colours? Pearls! Catwalks and wedding shows are all places to witness the fascination for pearls. What’s more, pearls aren’t being seen only on jewels. They are embellished onto wedding gowns and veils, the reception jacket and the gloves – and more designers are incorporating pearls on to less formal fashion.
- Versatility – like we said in the previous point, pearls are wonderfully versatile. You can don a pair of sunglasses with pearl accents, wear pearl bracelets or earrings and carry a bag with pearl inlays. All these looks work well. You can even add pearls to furniture or artefacts- carry your love for pearls away from your wardrobe and into your home.
- Multi-purpose – the pearl can be trendy or classy, and it depends on what you want it to be. Set it in silver, and you have some fun jewellery to play with. In gold, it can go with your cocktail dress or your gown at the opera. A pearl choker goes great with jeans and a t-shirt, a stacked set of bangles go well with shorts and a skirt. The pearl is whatever you want it to be.
- Eternity – pearls are meant to be passed down the generations. They are a great legacy, a connection between the past and the future and hold a pride of place in any household. This makes their allure even stronger.
- Celebrity-status – so many of the pop icons and influencers are seen sporting pearls at events and on ordinary days out about town. This increases the appeal of the pearl even more.