Marks & Spencer Apprenticeship
Our plan is to transform M&S from a traditional British retailer into an international multi-channel retailer. Our heritage of innovation helps us lead the way with first-to-market products across food, fashion and homeware.
We are currently looking for candidates to join as Assistant Garment Technologists. During your apprenticeship you will be working alongside various members of our clothing technology teams. You will be assisting them in their day to day duties and providing support by conducting a wide variety of activities. These role activities will enable you to attain a Level 3 Diploma in Apparel, Footwear or Leather Production (QCF) (KIA) 501/0088/9 ABC or a Level 3 Certificate in Apparel Manufacturing Technology (NVQ) (QCF) REF 500/5454/5.
Experience and knowledge to be gained from the Apprentice programme:
- An understanding of garment manufacture from the design concept through to store delivery
- Practice data entry into the Company’s production and technical data systems
- Hands on experience of garment sampling and prototype sealing
- Practical garment fitting skills gained attending working fit sessions
- A working knowledge of factory procedure and process in both a retail and factory environment
- Factory and supplier communication processes
- A basic understanding of production planning, progress monitoring and logistics
- A basic understanding of fabric sourcing, testing, stock control and monitoring
- Understand the process of trim development, purchasing, stock distribution and control
- Gain awareness of quality control and assurance in both a factory and retail environment
- Understand how to drive innovation in both fabric and garment technology
- Organise and conduct fit reviews alongside the Technologists and Assistant Technologists
- Experience how to collate test results from direct suppliers for technical submission and bulk stages
- Learn how to carry out product benchmarking for the Technologist
What we’re looking for in an Apprentice:
- A desire to learn and develop
- Good, clear and effective verbal communication skills
- Able to listen and follow instructions carefully
- A love and understanding for fashion
- An interest in the technical aspects of the fashion industry. I.e. construction, fit, quality, etc.
- An understanding of fashion retail as a commercial business
- Experience with using a computer ideally Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good time keeping
- A professional attitude to work and study
- Be able to work in a fast paced environment and have exceptional organisational skills
- Determination and stamina – the fashion industry is hard work!
To apply for our Apprenticeship scheme you need to have 5 GCSEs, Grades A-C, including Maths and English, and one of the following qualifications or equivalent qualifications/experience:
- BTEC Fashion & Clothing
- AS Level Textiles