Coming Soon: The Book of Pockets
The Book of Pockets – A Practical Guide for Fashion Designers publishes on the 11th July and thanks to our collaboration with Bloomsbury Publishing FashionCapital newsletter subscribers can pre-order now and receive a 35% discount.
The humble pocket may be small but it is certainly mighty arriving in a plethora of guises from functional zipper pockets to decorative patch pockets, if you’re looking to get the full picture on pocket design this practical guide is your go-to resource.
Compiled by three design and construction tutors this book goes inside out on pockets; from their history to visual aesthetics to flat patterns along with step-by-step construction tutorials.
The Book of Pockets includes:
– inspirational imagery, overlaid with flat patterns or zoom-ins of the pocket detail
– comprehensive information on all things pocket, beginning with their long history and going all the way from workwear to activewear and couture
– practical advice through interviews with fashion designers, curators, and technology developers
– a Pocket Flat Sketch Library appendix for quick reference,
– step-by-step construction tutorials, illustrated with flats throughout, showing you how to create nested pockets with gussets, invisible zipper patch pockets, cascading pockets, and more.
“No pocket is the same. The architecture of the fabric and garment’s design lead where and how a pocket should be constructed.” – Emme
We all love a good pocket; they are useful, practical and when designed right – stylish –
The Book of Pockets aims to support designers to successfully incorporate the right pocket into their designs.
FashionCapital readers can take advantage of the exclusive Bloomsbury / FashionCapital Members Only area which features the latest fashion books and guides plus 35% Members Only savings, sign up to FashionCapital’s weekly newsletter (click the letter icon top right of this page) for the discount code Click here to browse The Book of Pockets along with other Bloomsbury fashion titles.