Hobbs Garment Technology Apprenticeship
This appointment supports the Senior Garment Technologist in the delivery of the technical excellence and premium product quality.
In order to deliver a challenging business plan, there is a need to ensure sound succession planning of the Quality Assurance team, the Junior Garment Technologist assists senior members to constantly challenge and improve product quality, whilst learning about innovation in product engineering and manufacturing to deliver efficiencies and solutions directly at source with Supplier/Manufacturers.
Senior Garment Technologist
Main Purpose of the Job
To support and assist the Senior Garment Technologist working closely with the Buying team and Supplier/Manufacturers. The Junior Garment Technologist works to support consistent premium product quality is developed directly at source with Supplier/Manufactures which is fully aligned with the business and department objectives having a well developed understanding of the target customer.
The Junior Garment Technologist assists in the creation of technical garment specifications released to suppliers for an individual collection, working closely with a Senior Garment Technologist in finding solutions and efficiencies supporting the Buying team.
The Junior Garment Technologist supports peer development within the QA team building positive relationships, cultivating partnership at all times with Suppliers. Demonstrating an understanding and implementing the Hobbs brand values at all times.
- Supports communication of technical product specifications including wash care instructions to assist ‘Best Practice’ in product development. Promotes ‘Right First Time’ approach to sealing submission.
- Assists in the sealing process – supporting fit programs for the QA department to ensure achievement of the Buying critical path and delivery schedules required by the business.
- Working closely with the Senior Garment Technologist, supporting continuity of communication across supply base and product type in line with differing fabrications, identifying and analysing problems proposing solutions to influence key decisions taken by the business within the season to translate the needs of the Design and Buying teams into the delivered product.
- Develops close working relationships with all Suppliers to improve understanding of manufacturing capabilities.
- Supporting the Senior Garment Technologist to identify the need for supplier evaluation, monitoring and revising development plans providing feedback on performance of supply chain – promoting quality assurance
- Regularly communicates with and visits the distribution centre to ensure consistent quality assured standards are maintained, assisting in the follow up on corrective action on all rejected merchandise.
- Works with the Senior Garment Technologist to analyse returns/faulty product to identify generic and specific quality issues, applies lessons learned.
- Visits branches and competitors to understand customer expectations, makes informed decisions with the support of the Senior Garment technologist to achieve department goals
- Works to understand industry standards and developments, gaining knowledge of machinery and construction methods from peers and supplier/manufacturers.
- Perform other related duties as required
Key Skills/Personal Attributes
- Well balanced in terms of energy: possessing a sense of urgency to work at pace but with enough patience to complete tasks with an attention to detail
- Team player – maintaining close working relationships with peers and colleagues, adapting style and approach to meet the needs of the team and suppliers without compromising standards
- Able to build effective working relationships at all levels both with suppliers and colleagues in a way that appears natural and effortless
- Demonstrates ability to easily gain the attention of others by communicating in a way that is compelling and energises
- Keen to be innovative and creative in working methods
- Professional and credible with the ability to work on own initiative
- Able to multi task and prioritise effectively
- Aware of what is happening now as well as what is likely to happen in the future and making the appropriate suggestions to challenge product specifications for improved product performance.
- IT literate with skills in Word, Excel and Outlook packages
Level of Freedom of Action and Guidance Required
- Flexible to adapt daily and weekly plans to reflect changing circumstances to ensure the quality assurance department objectives and business priorities are met
- Supporting in written communication of Product development specifications and sealing, construction techniques, fit and styling are dependant upon the Designers and Buying teams input.
- Ensures that policies and procedures are followed
- Proposing to Senior Garment Technologist by identification of fabric issues, when delegation to fabric specialists for further investigation and action with fabric suppliers/mills is appropriate
- Communicates accurately and clearly with the relevant detail required to Suppliers to ensure effective development of quality product continuously building trust and respect to develop key relationships
- Finds imaginative new ways of overcoming obstacles which may hold back ‘Best Practice’ product development with the support and guidance of the Senior Garment Technologist.
- Reviews progress to achieving results – personal, QA departmental and product supply base
- Assist’s in weekly reporting on critical path – achievements and priorities
- Report as required to the Head of Creative Development and Technology
- Travel restrictions – allowing for sufficient departmental cover
- Working within budgets
One team and individually accountable
The desire and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in own and other teams, balanced with being individually accountable and responsible. Underpinned by the belief that this will allow Hobbs to achieve superior results.
Passionate and positive
Having a consistently positive attitude to Hobbs, its products and people, leading to passionate performance in the delivery of tasks and initiatives that support the brand ambitions.
Results driven and respectful
Constantly striving to achieve outstanding results whilst being empathetic to colleagues and customers.
Decisive and Fair
The ability to take the right action at the right time to maximise business benefits. Challenge is always constructive and actions taken are always just and honest.
Celebrating success and learning from experiences
Recognises and acknowledges achievements and efforts appropriately and intuitively whilst learning from own and other’s past experiences to ensure continuous improvement.
Leadership – Inspiring and Inspired
The desire and ability to lead and motivate a team to deliver outstanding results by being fully engaged with the brand, the business and its people.