Garment Technologist Job Profile
November 28, 2020 - November 28, 2020
Find out the typical duties requirements and opportunities of a garment technologist…
As a garment technologist you could be employed by a large high-street retailer, or garment manufacturer. Garment technologists support buying and design teams through all stages of product development, from design to manufacture. You will carry out a range of technical, investigative and quality control work to ensure the end product performs to specification. The job involves working in an office, but you must be willing to travel to meet supplier, customers and manufacturers. You will work closely with designers, graders, buyers and pattern cutters. The hours are usually around 38 hours a week, but over time may be needed to ensure collections are produced on time.
- Liaising with designers, and adapting designs to suit production methods
- Making and sizing pre-production garments
- Sourcing fabrics and accessories
- Undertaking quality evaluations of materials and checking the quality of the final product
- Responding to product queries, including complaints, from wholesalers and customers.
- Making sure garments can be produced within budget
- Overseeing fabric testing and fittings of first samples
Skills and Interests
- You must have an understanding of manufacturing, textiles and garment construction
- Have the ability to work alone as well as in a team
- Be able to work under tight deadlines and cope with pressure
- Have a keen interest in fashion and textiles
Demonstrate an understanding of pattern cutting, construction and manufacturing techniques.
Technical knowledge gained preferably within fast paced commercial or supplier environment.
Flexible approach to be able to adjust to the constantly changing needs of the business.
Ability to convey technical information clearly in layman’s terms.
Exceptional eye for technical detail to consistently ensure the correct documentation is used and followed.
Applied technical knowledge of fabrics and threads
Highly organised with good prioritisation skills.
Confident and clear communication skills; both verbal and written to work productively alongside other Product teams and external suppliers
With experience, you could progress to Senior Technologist, Quality Controller or Technical Manager.