MondayMotivation – Staying Positive This Blue Monday
Today is Blue Monday, the third Monday into the month of January that has been labelled ‘the most depressing day of the year’.
A combination of debt levels and winter weather conditions has led to the Blue Monday label however there is no conclusive evidence that this day is more depressing than any other Monday during the winter season. That aside, a general low mood at this time of year is not unusual and it may seem impossible to get into an energised and positive mindset. However, the FashionCapital team agree that positive mental health is an absolute must for a happy working environment so we have come up with 5 ideas that may tame Blue Monday (and the rest of the month) and get you back on track for the year!
- Try something new! – Try a dance or yoga class, try out rock climbing, take a cookery class, join a singing group or for budget friendly ideas find a free museum such as the weird and wonderful museum of Zoology.
- Get chatting – Even if you have an active social life, making connections and relationships in your work life is important. Work can feel so much easier with the knowledge you have a friend to turn to who understands the workplace. During your lunch break on this Blue Monday, maybe try and spark up a conversation with another staff member, rather than looking at your mobile phone or reading. You might be surprised who you click with!
- Be kind to yourself – Even though our New Year’s resolutions may have gone out the window it’s never too late to make small changes in your life for self-improvement one step at a time.
- Write a gratitude journal – Take 5 minutes out of your day to write 5 things you are currently grateful for, studies have traced a range of impressive benefits to the simple act of writing down the things for which we’re grateful—benefits including better sleep, fewer symptoms of illness, and more happiness among adults and kids alike.
- Meet up with some friends – You may have seen your friends many times over the Christmas period, at various parties or events. But, grabbing a quiet coffee or meeting up for a walk in January is a completely different occasion. If Blue Monday has beaten you, give a friend or a family member who understands you a call. Hearing their voice and having a laugh with them might be all you need to get you back on track.
For more personal encouragement and support join Life & Business Coach – Eric Gilston’s next free masterclass on 23rd January 2020 11am – 1pm at FashionCapital HQ. The session is entitled: ‘If it’s to be, it’s up to me’ centres on moving forward and taking control of your life, the benefits of being positive and gaining confidence.
Click here to find out more and book your place.