Coming Soon: A New Stitching Academy – A UK First!
A wide-reaching extension of the UK’s first ever National Apprenticeship in Fashion and Textiles Apparel scheme, initiated two years ago – through which:
- 120 young people will complete with a Level 1 qualification in “Stitching Skills” after a six-week internship, during which their daily expenses will be paid
- At least forty young people will go onto employment (over half of all jobs will be with FashionCapital), further education or additional apprenticeships
- Skills gained will include: Sewing & Stitching, Machinery Operation, Inspecting & Measuring and Health & Safety, all trained at The Factory in Haringey, London
- ASOS Foundation, a registered charity, will supply all technical equipment and machinery, matching contributions from Haringey Council for teaching costs
- All activity will be supported by grant funding from the Department of Work & Pensions via Jobcentre Plus to drive British manufacturing by young people
Since a £250,000 low-interest loan in 2011 to not-for-profit industry organisation and training provider Fashion-Enter, ASOS has enabled the production of up to 7,000 garments per week at The Factory in Haringey. In addition, as part of its commitment to support the UK retention of declining industry skills – focusing on young people who wish to work in fashion – ASOS has supported two apprentices through to graduation, with another two currently progressing through the programme.
If you’re interested in getting involved contact: email@example.com