In which we trust….The Prince’s Trust
Aimed at 14-30 year olds the Princeâ€™s Trust offers training, mentoring and financial assistance to basically help their dreams come true and start their own successful business.
The agenda comprised of a guided tour of the Larc complex complete with an overview of courses and technology available for members, a review of www.fashioncapital.co.uk which is now up to 2 million hits for the month of October plus an overview of the industry from the perspective of yours truly! We also built into the agenda a surgery time where I had the opportunity to meet some of the designers on a one to one session. I was genuinely impressed! The calibre of the designers was exceptionally high and whilst the 30 participants were at various levels of their business one over riding theme was prominent â€“ professionalism and credit here to the Princeâ€™s Trust and Heather Skea.
Business is hard out there â€“ if it was easy everyone would do it! But at least our industry has life and zest and now two days are ever the same. Recently I wrote an article on how to write a business plan and I am all for business plans and the professional approach this implies but also remember that a few hundred words, excellently researched and well written is not suffice to succeed. Drive, ambition, motivation and a willingness to be a jack of all trades are also key to business success. I see many excellent plans but I also see a hunger and drive absent from certain designers. This is your business, your livelihood and, basically your life. There is much too treasure and many bridges to cross but that will to succeed is key.
Itâ€™s the first time I have worked with the Princeâ€™s Trust and I was â€œmightâ€ impressed! I researched their site before the seminar and here are some key points for you to see if you are eligible to apply for their array of services.
WITH START-UP SUPPORT FROM THE PRINCEâ€™S TRUST YOU COULD GET
- a low interest loan of up to 4,000 for a sole trader, or up to 5,000 for a partnership (the average loan is between 2,000 and 3,000 but varies regionally)
- a grant of up to 1,500 in special circumstances
- a test marketing grant of up to 250
- ongoing business support and specialist advice such as our free Legal Helpline. Read about it
- ongoing advice from a volunteer business mentor
- access to a wide range of products and services, free or at discounts
We can help you turn your dream into reality.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE
- are a UK resident aged 18-30
- are unemployed or work less than 16 hours per week
- have not been able to get all the funding you need from other sources
- have a good business idea and are ready to make it a reality
HOW TO APPPLY
Please note: in Scotland, business start-up support is through the Prince’s Scottish Youth Business Trust for 18-25 year olds. For more information, please visit their website
Finally, a big thank you to all the designers that made the day so enjoyableâ€¦.look forward to working with you all again soon.