Social Outcome Success: FEL X Islington Council
Fashion-Enter Ltd (FEL) is thrilled to announce that they have had an excellent month of creating genuine outcomes and measures that create social good for the borough of Islington.
TOMs is the national ‘Themes, Outcomes and Measures’ that guide social enterprises and relates to a framework that was set up in 2019.
The aim of the National TOMs Framework is to provide a minimum reporting standard for measuring social value. For those organisations (private and public) just starting out on their journey to embed social value into their procurement and management processes, it provides an easy to use solution that is immediately available, and may be applied to any project.
The principal benefits of a minimum and consistent reporting standard for social value are that it:
- Provides a consistent approach to measuring and reporting social value
- Allows for continuous improvement
- Provides a robust, transparent and defensible solutionfor assessing and awarding tenders
- Allows organisations to compare their own performance by sector and industry benchmarks and understand what good looks like
- Reduces the uncertainty surrounding social value measurement for businesses, allowing them to make informed decisions based on robust quantitative assessments and hence embed social value into their corporate strategies
Fashion-Enter Ltd (FEL) CEO Jenny commented: “Huge well done to the team at FEL that works as one to create real social outcomes for Islington. We have never been a workspace provider before and working with Islington Council, LEAP and the GLA has taken some time to understand how TOMs works and how we can record the good we do.
“However, working closely with a strong team at Islington Council has been excellent. We are delighted that we have created social good that has a value of £106, 640.40 for the month of September 2022.
“When I first started FEL in 2006 I had no idea how you could measure social outcomes – I am not even sure they existed but it’s such a great feeling that we have genuinely helped people in all kinds of sectors and this can be measured to a value. I have never been motivated by money but knowing how much we have supported people and made a difference in their lives makes all the hard work so meaningful.
“Thank-you to Islington Council for having that support in us.
“I am mindful of the words of Lord Kelvin..“
“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.”
For further information about TOMs: https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/National%20TOMs%202019%20Guidance%201.0.pdf